Case Study: New Product Planning
Case Study Ⅰ
- Bionest’s client, an innovator in the field of pharmaceutical and medical products, was expecting approval of a first-in-class kidney cancer therapy and needed to plan for a launch into multiple markets, including Japan, Canada, the United States, and European Union Five (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom). The company’s organization had minimal oncology experience, and retained Bionest for its expertise.
- We prepared a detailed plan for each of the target markets, incorporating landscape evaluation launch planning activities. The landscape evaluation included: treatment protocols, competitive landscape, KOL identification and characterization of each country’s pricing and reimbursement process. The launch plan consisted of: positioning and messaging, target pricing, sales forecasts, an initial KOL program design, sales force characterization (size and qualifications), a preliminary publication plan and considerations for indication expansion. Our methodology incorporated a rich mix of research in each country, robust modeling and tactical planning at global and country levels. Extensive interactions with company headquarters and personnel in each country were also a key part of this engagement to foster ownership and alignment.
Value for the Client
- The launch of our client’s kidney cancer therapy was successful, going according to Bionest’s plan. Drug revenues have grown steadily and now approach $2 billion.
Case Study Ⅱ
- Bionest’s client, a leading biopharma company, wished to optimize the positioning of an innovative Phase III breast cancer drug. The company retained Bionest to identify the best avenues for the brand to differentiate itself in this increasingly crowded market and to support the development of the core brand strategy elements that would drive its subsequent launch.
- We conducted a series of interviews to identify the optimal market space for the brand based on a detailed market assessment and segmentation analysis, and articulated key positioning options for different phase III outcomes and initial messaging platforms. Through a combination of external interviews and interactive workshops with the clients, we then pressure-tested the positioning platforms and conducted quantitative research (discrete choice analysis) to translate positioning into market share projections, to define targeted patient and physician segments as well as to quantify source of business.
Value for the Client
- We delivered a comprehensive situation assessment for our client’s product within the breast cancer market, as well as positioning alternatives and share preference numbers to support internal forecasting initiatives. Our analysis and findings were shared with senior management, and we prepared insights for a series of senior management meetings. Our client is now positioning its drug according to our detailed recommendation.