Case Study: Opportunity Assessment
Case Study Ⅰ
- To support a licensing negotiation, Bionest’s client, a leading biopharmaceutical company, wished to assess the clinical landscape in Japan for its novel cardiovascular therapy. The company retained Bionest to test the product profile with KOLs and physicians to determine the size of the target patient population and drug’s potential for innovative pricing.
- We built a two-step approach based primarily on market research.Step 1: Leveraging our on-the-ground Japanese network, we tested the product profile with Japanese physicians to gain perspective on the drug and understand its prospects for approval and use in Japan. The KOLs included prominent cardiologists who wrote the Japanese guidelines for heart failure treatment and who advise the government on pricing.Step 2: Based on this feedback, Bionest delivered clear insights into the drug’s opportunities and challenges in the market.
Value for the Client
- We provided an in-depth understanding of the drug’s opportunities in Japan, and recommended short-term and long-term initiatives for the company to pursue. Our findings were used to support a successful licensing deal between the biotech firm and the licensee, with a substantial increase in the value of the deal to recognize the product’s potential in Japan.
Case Study Ⅱ
- Bionest’s client, a successful specialty pharma company with established franchises, decided to build a new franchise through acquisition. Multiple new franchise-building projects were assigned to different consulting firms; Bionest was tasked with creating a neuroscience business.
- We conducted a two-phase approach, which led to a recommendation for the company to invest in neurology:Step 1: Utilizing our extensive neuroscience network, we identified and characterized nearly 100 neurological disorders that met the company’s first-cut criteria. Then, with input from the company, we selected 8 neurological disorders for further evaluation.Step 2: Based on extensive primary and secondary research, as well as a workshop with the company, we recommended three disorders for the company to pursue, and identified specific targets for each disorder.
Value for Client
- Utilizing our roadmap, our client decided to pursue development in neurology. The company followed our specific recommendations and has successfully acquired products addressing the first two target disorders.